Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I will be sharing the following message with parents of students starting grade nine at T.A. Blakelock HS in the Halton DSB. Please feel free to use and adapt this for your school. I have attached the actual postcard and the Powerpoint slides I will be using. Have a look! It’s based on my book Kidding Around: connecting kids to happiness, laughter and humour.
The school organized this one hour session for parents in the morning when the grade nines come for their first day in grade nine! Parents will be sharing their own feelings with each other.
Change is inevitable. It’s the actual weeks of transition to something new that is harder. Life is full of change and transitions — endings, a neutral zone, and new beginnings. It’s the neutral zone, in between, that varies from person to person. Everyone travels through the neutral zone in different ways. Our hour together will focus on these Seven Keys To Successful Transitions.
1. Stay involved with high school. You’re not done yet.
2. Be trustworthy. Be there to listen & talk about anything.
3. Have a backbone & boundaries. Stay connected.
4. Make some time to do fun stuff & nurture their sense of humour.
5. Let them learn from mistakes & be resilient to bounce back.
6. Focus on and help them use their signature strengths to be happy.
7. Watch for mental health warning signs & get help early if needed. Think of feelings & moods as pleasant & unpleasant vs good & bad.
I welcome your feedback! Have a great school year – no matter what year you are starting! Learning never ends!